Monday, November 12, 2012

Freeze = Outside Worm Bin (Update 3)

The day has finally come......

Most of my gardens are dead and it's thanks to Mr. Freeze!

 
 This bucket is filled nearly to the top with Roma Tomatoes I was hoping to turn into sauce in the next few weeks, but I planted them too late and didn't give them enough attention until too late in the fall and the plants died today, so I picked a bucket of tomatoes!


 There were a few other vegetables I added from the garden as well, as my summer garden is essentially dead and my winter garden will soon thrive in its place. I never picked the peanuts I grew this year either, only a few and they were the same size as store bought, but I probably wont get around to getting them as it was basically an experiment to see if I could do it and with my health an uncertainty, I doubt I'll have enough energy to harvest them like I planned to. Oh well, next year perhaps.....


 I dumped the bucket of veges into a corner of the outside worm bin. I'm hoping that by doing it this way I can prevent the entire bin from becoming too acidic since tomatoes were the primary green these worms have been eating since I received them.


 Here's another shot of the bin. The last thing I did was to add some more paper and cardboard on top of what you see in the picture, to help speed up the process, keep pests out, protect the worms, and help with insulation. I'll keep you all updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment