Thursday, December 13, 2012

Broccoli On Steroids! (Random Stuff Series)

Today I noticed something strange as I was checking my gardens. At first glance, I thought my dogs might have knocked over my broccoli plant. Before I blamed the dogs though, I decided to take a closer look. To my surprise, the broccoli had fallen over on it's own (with a little help from the rain that is).





Now I'm more accustomed to seeing broccoli that is about the size you see next to my hand, in the above picture. These are the typical sizes that end up on our dinner plates.

To give you an idea of the size of these plants after adding worm "leacheate," not to be confused by worm tea, which is entirely different and not by accident, like leacheate, I took another picture of a plant that would normally shock me, by its size alone.



My hand is big enough to grip a basketball, to give you a reference. So this is a fairly large specimen you see in the picture above. Normally this would be amazing to me and I would call adding leacheate to this plant a complete success.



To get back to my original point, I came outside this morning to find my plant laying on its side. I placed a basketball next to the plant to show you how well vermicomposting and even the byproducts of waste in the vermicomposting process can be beneficial if handled and treated properly. Keep in mind, I'd never recommend using any type of leacheate in an indoor garden.

This plant is huge!!!

Look at the basketball laying next to it. Imagine being a kid and your mom putting that sucker on your plate!



I took a closeup shot to show you the difference between the other two broccoli tops, using my hand as a reference again. As you can see from both this post, as well as my green bean post, vermicomposting is some magical fertilizer!




No comments:

Post a Comment