Monday, October 8, 2012

Vermicomposting with Rabbit Poop

This weekend we were planning on getting a rabbit from one of my wife's coworkers, but that fell through temporarily and I decided to get a rabbit on my own. A trip to our local "Swap meat" aka "Flea Market" was the perfect opportunity to see what type of "livestock" would be available. Since I live in Southern California, between Bakersfield and Visalia, I am in the farming hub, if you will of California. That means that every kind of animal you can imagine that belongs on a farm is available in abundance for next to nothing.

I was able to get a rabbit with cage and two bowls, for food and water for 26 dollars. A quick stop at the local feed store and I walked out with a dog food sized bag of fresh alfalfa for free after relating to the shop keeper whose wife suffers from the same disease I do. He generously allowed me to pick up the alfalfa that had fallen off the complete bales and told me I could keep what I could stuff in the bag he provided. I was very grateful and stuffed the bag to full capacity.

I also grabbed a pound of alfalfa pellets and a pound of alfalfa seed for my garden.

Meet Peter, Peter Rabbit...that is.

In the last few days, Peter has done an excellent job turning grass and alfalfa pellets into some very nice droppings/manure that my redworms seem to absolutely love. I have been storing his poop in a coffee can until needed and then I add it to the frozen vegetables I keep adding to the Worm Inn. The worms are thriving!

No comments:

Post a Comment