Friday, October 12, 2012

Zombie Celery (It's Alive!)

So I was over at The Worm Dude's website, reading his post 'Food for the worms, or Food for ME," and was intrigued that an attempt at feeding his worms romaine lettuce resulted in the lettuce actually growing in the castings, rather than decomposing. I chuckled when I saw this amazing sight and so a few days later when one of my neighbors handed me a bucket of kitchen scraps they'd saved for me, I decided to plant some of the waste to see what happened. I didn't just grab any old waste though, I went for the celery, as the center section still looked lively.

After tearing off the rotten parts and tossing them into my compost bucket, I planted the living part in plain ol' dirt in an area of my garden that we just harvested sunflowers from. I then proceeded to pour diluted leachate onto the celery for the last week or so and to my amazement, the celery grew new parts and is coming back strong!

I'll keep you updated on the progress of this plant, but I doubt there will be any issues. I should be harvesting fresh celery for some home made chicken stew in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment